Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gen Z keeps this Gen Y on her toes!

Last week, a young work experience student – Harry – came in to the office to learn the ropes about Real Estate. It was refreshing to have Harry in the office with his vibrant attitude and a strong eagerness to learn.

It made me remember the first time I decided that selling real estate was going to be my chosen profession. I was 16 and had arranged to do a week of work experience at a Graphic Design firm in the heart of Melbourne. I was staying with my uncle who was the manager of a boutique real estate office in South Yarra along Toorak road. I would go to work with him in the mornings and make my way down to St Kilda road for my week of work experience. After the first few days I realised the best part of my day had been going to work with my uncle in the mornings and chatting to the staff before they started their day. They were lively, fun, vibrant and I felt like it would be a great industry to work in. Little did I know that same office would be where I would start my real estate career 3 years later.

Harry probably felt like he was here to learn from us (technically he was), however I felt it was the other way around. His skills & positive attitude with the feeling that the world is his oyster was something that rubbed off when I was working with Harry.

It made me first of all appreciate that life is short because it felt like only yesterday that I was doing work experience myself with the pressures of finding a suitable career. Harry also made me realise that the younger generation have a lot to offer. Their ideas are fresh, their minds are eager & they pick up on things so quickly. It is easy to get into the every day grind and forget to be inspired or to give yourself time to grow your ideas or how important it is to work in an environment where your ideas are appreciated and respected.

I spoke to Harry about his thoughts on going into schools and chatting to Year 12 students about Housing and everything that awaits them when they leave school. We discussed how difficult it is to find a home when you have never rented and how difficult it is to save money when you have nothing to save towards. He gave me some great ideas on what would work and what wouldn’t.

One thing Harry made me realise is; as I grow older and wiser (I hope), I will make a commitment to keep learning & to continue to develop new ideas, new ways of doing things end evolve with the use of technology. It will be essential for me to continue practising & honing my skills as everything in life has an expiry date and there is always a newer model.

It’s like my grandmother at the ripe old age of 69 – asking me to teach her how to text 6 months ago. I commend her on continuing to learn as it’s too easy not to.

Last but not least I would like to write a note to my ex school teacher who has subscribed to my blog – thank you for your support & words of wisdom last week. You continue to teach & inspire me long after I have left the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Anytime Brooke(I assume you mean me!). Again, a well written and thoroughly readable entry. I look forward to more. You are a true talent. xx

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner