Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cheap Tricks!

I can not stand the River’s clothing store adds on television, and I don’t think the cheese stands alone. Yes, most people hate them but we’ve all watched them. Most of all, I hate the cheap ploys that they use to get me to watch the television. For example the advertisements come on in between a program I am watching – all of a sudden a high pitched scream belts out of my television – OF COURSE I AM GOING TO LOOK UP. Or the old chestnut when you are listening to the background noise of the television then suddenly everything falls silent – what’s happened to my television? OF COURSE, YOU LOOK UP. They have used every little trick in the book to make you watch the advertisement. Marketing heaven or marketing hell I’m not sure, although I can still tell you every bargain or sale they’ve got on. I think this week is something to do with women’s $18 knits. So they have successfully got my attention – but would I ever buy the product?

A similar theory goes when buying a property. It may be an appealing photo used for marketing but unless the property is priced right then no one will ever call for an inspection. Or it could be the other way around – the price could be extremely appealing however upon inspection it is not how it was presented in the marketing.

If a property’s price sounds too good to be true – it usually is (exceptions are; deceased estates, mortgagee sales, vendors relocating etc), so find out why it is and if it is something that will or will not effect you. Buyers also have to be aware of the cheap marketing tricks used by some agents. I will never re-iterate this enough the only way to know you aren’t paying too much for a property is to do your reseach. Get out there – go to open houses – keep up to date with what’s selling and what price properties sell for. Get your agent working for you. They should be informing you of new listings, price adjustments, or properties that you have previously inspected that are since sold.

In answering my question above, I probably wouldn’t buy a product that a company is flogging if they have purely used cheap tricks to get my attention in the first place. It can also give the impression cheap tricks = cheap product. This is also very similar to the process of choosing a real estate agent or company to sell your property on your behalf. Just because you go with the cheapest agent doesn’t mean you are going to get the best result. Countless times I have witnessed Vendor’s go for the cheaper agent.

Rule No 1. An agent shouldn’t be chosen based on commission alone – it’s just bad business. You have to approach this the same way as if you were buying a house. Research who is getting the results, research who has the most listings, talk to people – more often then not everyone will have an opinion on Real Estate agents. Also the quicker the agent is to drop their commission – you can guarantee they will be doing the same at the other end – dropping the price to get the sale.

Rule No 2. Do not appoint an agent because they have the cheapest marketing campaign. Once again you get what you pay for. This is the most crucial part to selling your property. If the agent is only putting the smallest ad in the newspaper how then can you be sure that every single person is being targeted who could be interested in buying your property. Everyone knows, the more interested parties you get the better chance you have of achieving your asking price or a property selling for above your expectations.

The simple solution I can offer for all of this is…RESEARCH and be mindful of the cheap tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner